Why Nigeria doesn't need an Arab styled revolution yetNigerian Newspapers Blog
Blog | ( 5 ) | Subscribe | Post a comment Posted by Felix Okoli on October 21, 2011 at 01:23:11:
Perhaps if the likes of Abacha or IBB were still in power today, the strings of popular revolution taking up in the Arab world would have caught up with Nigeria too. On the Contrary, we would say IBB was a bit of an Angel to have decided to step out of power after 8years unlike some of those other countries that their rulers have stayed in power for even up to 40 years!
Nigeria seems to be more on the positive side than on the negative and we should be thankful to God for what we have. It may not be the best of democracy ye but it is growing and we are getting there. Most countries of the world that we call developed didn't get there in 50 years so even at 50 years as a country, we are still relatively young and we should thank God for at least a strong economy. Nigeria has the largest market in Africa and so apaprt from just crude oil resources, we have a virile market that makes foreign investors want to invest in our nation.
We don't really need a revolution yet to take away our rulers or dictators because we don't really haev dictators now.
There are several reasons why I believe Nigeria is still waxing stronger as a democracy and don't need a revolution yet:- We have a democratic govt
- Our leaders stay in power for at most 2 terms
- The economy is strong and there are equal opportunities for small and growing businesses
- We have a lot of political parties
- There is now more freedom of speech
- We have both Christians and Muslims in govt
- There is rotation of power along tribes and religious lines
- This democracy has been operating for over 12 years
- Nigeria's economy is still growing during the global recession
- There is a growing fight against corruptionOf course it is still ok to hold strikes and demonstrations for govt to effect some changes in their operations but we don't need a major overhaul of our govt just yet.
Post a Comment Required fields are Name and Comment.